Less Than 10%
The Staff Accountant will manage, safeguard and oversee the general ledger activities and structure by developing and implementing systems for collecting, analyzing, verifying, and reporting timely and accurate financial information. Responsibilities include reviewing and approving allocations and transactions; reconciling accounts; journal entries, maintaining schedules; performing cost allocations; variance analysis, and financial statement preparation on a monthly basis. The Staff Accountant is a key contributor to the timely month-end and year-end closing process.
General Duties & Responsibilities:
(Subject to change based on Accounting Department’s Needs)
- Actively participate in the monthly, quarterly, and year-end process to ensure accurate and timely completion of revenues, expenses, related accruals, prepaids and other ledger accounts.
- Reconcile assigned Balance Sheet Accounts. Review accounts’ supporting records to confirm proper and adequate back-up (check for accuracy and completeness). Follow-up accordingly for missing information. Identify, Follow-up, and Resolve outstanding items associated with assigned Balance Sheet accounts. Provide recommendation to Accounting Manager / Controller of items that need to be cleaned-up.
- Drive Month-End Process for assigned Business Units and resolve / escalate issues as needed to ensure timely publications of financial statements (includes Posting of Monthly Recurring Journal Entries, Month-End Accruals, Reconciliation of Offset Accounts, and performing detailed review of monthly general ledger and financial statements to ensure accuracy and adherence to GAAP).
- Analyze financial information and develop understanding of business units’ trends and key performance indicators to ensure that questions / variances are addressed and/or brought to Accounting Manager / Controller’s attention prior to publication of financial statements.
- Assist in training of accounting staff to ensure they produce high quality work in a timely fashion.
- Contribute to the development of new or amended accounting systems, programs, and procedures.
- Audit company’s Payroll Accounting Data, journalize and allocate expenses.
- Review Workers Compensation and General Liability insurance policies for accuracy in calculations.
- Monitor and Update Monthly Recurring Expenses and organize associated files (including 1st of the Month rent / lease payments, insurance payments, equipment leases), etc. Review expenses to ensure validity of charges. Request supporting documentation and management approval as needed.
- Generate journal entries for annual expenses (i.e. Insurance accounts, Reclass Lease payments from Long Term to Short Term, etc.).
- Prepare federal, state, local, licensing and special returns.
- Assists in monthly close of Sage Modules such as AP Module and AR Module.
- Sage Maintenance / Creation of New Vendors/Customers. Primary: Customers; Back-up: Vendors
- Assist in annual Financial Statement Review, Federal / State Annual Tax Return, Audits and related PBC items.
- Participate in and assist in preparing and monitoring budgets.
- Performs other accounting duties and support junior staff as required or assigned.
- Performs administrative or other tasks as needed.
Required Skills & Qualities:
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent experience
- 2+ years accounting/finance education or relevant experience.
- Highly detail oriented and organized in work.
- Inquisitive nature, ask questions to increase knowledge and develop better understanding of work performed.
- Ability to prioritized and meet assigned deadlines.
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal daily direction from manager to accomplish objectives.
- Proficiency with email, Microsoft Office applications, and accounting ERP software.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving, and results.
- Skill in developing detailed documentation in communicating financial information and results.
- Ability to provide guidance to Business Units and department staff in policies and procedures.